Autodiscover Connection Failure for Exchange 2007/Outlook 2007Posted May 2nd, 2010 in Technology
Tags: How To, Microsoft, Technology
The users for one of my clients started complaining about not being able to use the Out of Office Assistant for Outlook 2007. They recently upgraded to Office 2007 from Office XP. This was after they upgraded to Exchange 2007 about 6 months prior. I did not do the initial setup for Exchange 2007 and the other server upgrades, but I’ve been coming in now and again to cleanup problems.
Initially, the problem was the autodiscover URL was not accessible. That was an easy fix by adding a DNS entry. The tough nut to crack, however, was a 401 error. I went through the usual suspects of disabling the loopback check, setting back-connection host names, etc. None of which had an effect. It wasn’t until I tried logging into Remote Web Workplace directly did I get a huge clue:
This user account does not have permissions to access your network remotely. Contact your network administrator to enable remote access for this user account.
That was a very strange error indeed since users could access all other resources including Outlook Web Access. I finally decided to look through Active Directory, specifically the Windows SBS Remote Web Workplace Users security group. As soon as I added the main user group that contained all users, everything started to work.